Have you ever been subscribed to a data plan on Airtel only to find out that the plan was renewed after you bought some airtime on your Airtel line? If you have experienced this at one time or the other, you’re not alone as many Airtel subscribers have also complained about this issue online.
Having your data plan auto-renew without your knowledge can be very frustrating since your network provider (Airtel in this case) will keep charging you for a data plan you don’t intend to use any longer whenever you recharge your line.
Thankfully, you can actually cancel auto-renewal on your Airtel line easily in just a few steps. You can use multiple methods to cancel auto-renewal, including canceling via SMS, USSD codes, or contacting the Airtel customer care service.
In this article, you will learn how to cancel auto-renewal on Airtel using different methods. Using any of these methods, you can easily take control of your Airtel subscriptions and prevent unexpected airtime deductions wherever you recharge your Airtel line.
How To Cancel Auto-Renewal On Airtel Nigeria (Updated Guide)
Unlike other Nigerian mobile networks, Airtel asks you if you would like to enable the auto-renewal feature any time you buy/subscribe to a new data plan, and for me, that’s awesome because you can choose not to enable the feature easily.
Let’s say you chose to enable it and you suddenly changed your mind and decided to cancel the feature, below are the best methods to cancel auto-renewal on Airtel.
How To Cancel Airtel Auto-Renewal via SMS
Disabling the airtel auto-renewal feature is quite an easy thing to do which doesn’t require much effort. You can easily disable auto-renewal on your Airtel line by sending an SMS – it’s as easy as that.
To cancel auto-renewal on Airtel with SMS, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to your “Messages” or “SMS” application (all mobile devices come with this app).
- Send “STOP” without quotes to 141.
- After completing the aforementioned step successfully, you’ll get a confirmation message/SMS showing that you’ve opted out of the Airtel auto-renewal service.
How To Cancel Airtel Auto-Renewal via Twitter
If for one reason or the other, using the SMS method we outlined above you doesn’t work, the only other available option is to reach out to Airtel customer agents and lay your complaints to them.
Presently, Airtel Nigeria has a dedicated Twitter account for attending to its customers who might face any issues while using any of their services.
To opt out of the Airtel auto-renewal service using this method, follow the steps outlined below.
- Log in to your Twitter account on the Twitter mobile app or website (you can create an account if you don’t currently have one).
- Locate the search page and search for “@airtel_care” (without quotes) or click the link to navigate to the Airtel customer service profile on Twitter.
- You should see the official Airtel customer care account with a verified badge (don’t deal with any account without a verified badge), open the handle and locate the send message icon/button.
- Send them a direct message (dm) stating your problem and make sure you include your phone number and the data plan you want them to cancel on your airtel line.
- Relax and wait for a reply from them.
Once they’re done attending to you, the auto-renewal feature on your current data plan will be canceled. And that’s how to stop auto-renewal on Airtel Nigeria using Twitter.
How To Cancel Airtel Auto-Renewal via Airtel Customer Care
Another sure way to disable this feature is to contact Airtel customer care using your Airtel line. Just like you can reach out to the Airtel customer care agents on Twitter, you can also reach out to them using a designated phone number.
To contact Airtel customer care, simply dial “111” on your airtel line, and ask them to disable the auto-renewal for your current data plan.
And that’s it. Any agent assigned to you should be able to disable the auto-renewal on your airtel line and after that, your airtime will not be deducted to renew a data plan you don’t use any longer whenever you recharge your line.
How To Stop Whatsapp Subscription Auto-Renewal On Airtel
If you have subscribed to the Airtel Whatsapp data plan and you would like to disable auto-renewal for the plan, then it’s quite easy and frankly the same process as disabling auto-renewal for all other Airtel data plans.
To disable auto-renewal on the Airtel Whatsapp subscription, follow the steps outlined below.
- Open the “Messages” app on your smartphone.
- Now, send “STOP” (without quotes) to 141.
- Wait for a confirmation message from Airtel that the auto-renewal for your current data plan has been canceled.
And that’s how you can stop the Airtel Whatsapp subscription from renewing automatically on your Airtel line.
In conclusion, canceling or stopping your data plan from auto-renewing on Airtel is an easy and straightforward process that will help you take more control over your data subscriptions as a subscriber on the Airtel network.
There are various methods you can use to cancel the Airtel data auto-renewal feature – by SMS or reaching out to their customer care agents on Twitter or via a phone call.
And that will be it for this guide. If you landed on this page because you were searching for a working method to disable data auto-renewal on your Airtel line, we hope you found this article helpful.