MTN is one of the most popular internet service providers in Nigeria providing some of the most affordable and reliable data services in the country and a handful of countries on the African continent.
Data plans on MTN Nigeria are some of the cheapest in Nigeria today and in fact, MTN is the only telecom company in Nigeria today that is present in more than 223 cities and towns spanning the 36 states of Nigeria. With a slogan that reads “Everywhere You Go“, you can be sure of this feat.
It can be frustrating to run out of data unexpectedly especially when you really need to do something urgently online like replying to your messages, purchasing airtime, sending money via online banking platforms, and more.
That’s why it’s important to know how to check your MTN data balance so that you can monitor your usage and avoid running out of data suddenly.
If you’re finding it difficult to check your MTN Data plan balance on your phone or modem or you’re asking questions like “how do I find out how much data I have left on MTN?”, then this guide is all you need to solve your problem.
In this article, we will guide you through the different methods you can use to check your MTN data balance, including USSD codes, SMS, and other online channels provided by MTN.
How To Check MTN Data Balance (Updated)
Below are the steps needed to go about the MTN data bundle balance inquiry on your mobile device as an MTN subscriber.
You can check your MTN data balance in different ways and that’s with USSD codes and the SMS method. These methods will be discussed below.
How To Check MTN Data Balance With USSD Codes
One of the easiest ways to check your data balance as an MTN subscriber is with the use of the 131 multi-purpose USSD code.
To check your MTN data balance with the USSD code on Android devices or iPhones, follow the guide below. Note that this will work for any device including smaller non-internet-enabled phones too.
- Navigate to the Dialer/Phone app on your mobile device and dial *131#
- Press 4 and wait for a reply. Note that ” 4” is “Balance Check“
- After completing the steps above, you’ll get an SMS containing your data balance.
Alternatively, you can dial *131*4# to get your MTN data balance instantly without having to go through the long process outlined above.
You can also use *559# or *559*4# if the above code doesn’t work for some reason. To use this, simply open your dialer app like above then dial *559# or *559*4# and click the Call button.
Once your request is complete, you should see a pop-up on your phone displaying your current data balance. You can either note your MTN data balance down somewhere or screenshot it to keep a record of your current data balance.
You can always check your data balance on MTN with any of the USSD codes and this method works 24 hours a day every time so far your mobile device is connected to the MTN network.
How To Check MTN Data Balance Via SMS
Another easier method you can use to check your data balance as an MTN subscriber using the SMS platform.
To check your MTN data balance using SMS, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to your SMS app and send “2” without quotes to 131
- After you must have sent the number, you’ll get a reply which contains your data balance no matter the plan you’re on
How To Check MTN Data Balance Online (Step By Step)
If you prefer checking your data balance online, then you can also do that on MTN since the network has provided various online channels including a mobile app for Android and iOS devices and a chatbot is available on the web, Whatsapp, Telegram, and Facebook.
To check your MTN data balance online, you can either use the My MTN mobile app or the MTN Zigi chatbot.
Here is how to check your MTN data balance online.
- Download the My MTN NG mobile app on your device. To download the My MTN app on Android click here, for users on iOS or iPad, click here to download the app from the app store.
- After downloading and installing, launch the My MTN app on your device and input your MTN phone number.
- Next, enter the OTP code sent to your MTN line in the provided field.
- Set your login details including a username and password.
- Once you’re done setting up the app, you should be able to see your current MTN data balance on the app’s homepage alongside other details including your airtime balance, current data plan, current tariff plan, and more.
Just in case you don’t want to install the My MTN mobile app on your device, you can also access My MTN on the web portal by visiting – https://mymtn.com.ng/login. The process of setting up an account is also the same as the mobile app.
How To Check MTN Data Bonus (Updated Guide)
While compiling this article, we also discovered that most MTN subscribers also want to know how to check their allocated MTN data bonuses.
If you’re an MTN subscriber who wants to know how to check their data bonus balance on MTN, we’ve got you covered, and in this section of the article, you will learn how to do just that on your phone easily.
MTN has a wide range of plans which subscribers can choose from. Some of these plans offer more data while some offer more talk time, either way, you must know how to check the data bonus on any plan you’re currently on.
Below are the USSD codes you can use to check the MTN data bonus of different plans provided by MTN Nigeria.
- MTN BetaTalk – *559*43#
- MTN ExtraValue – *556*61#
- MTN Pulse – Send “2” without quotes to 131 (SMS Method)
- MTN Awuf4U – *559*14#
- MTN Starter Pack – *559*17#
- MTN True Talk – *556#
How To Check MTN SME Data Balance
Checking your SME data balance has also been made easy as you can now view your balance by dialing some special USSD codes on your mobile device.
The SME data plans and the MTN Night plans are some of the best MTN data plans for people who love to stream and download movies. MTM SME data plans are mostly used for data reselling.
To check your MTN SME Data balance as a sponsor or beneficiary, follow the steps outlined below.
- Navigate to the default dialer app on your mobile device and dial *461*2#
- Follow the on-screen prompts and select option “3” – “Check Balances“
- Select option “1” if you’re a SPONSOR and select option “2” if you’re a BENEFICIARY
- Press send and you’ll get a reply shortly which contains your MTN SME data balance for the selected option.
In conclusion, knowing how to check your data balance is a crucial step to ensuring that you don’t run out of mobile data unexpectedly as an MTN subscriber.
In this article, we have discussed different methods of checking your MTN data balance, including USSD codes, SMS, and online platforms.
By using any of the methods outlined in this article, you can easily monitor your MTN data balance from time to time and buy extra data when necessary to avoid sudden interruptions when using the MTN network to access the internet.
If you were searching for working methods to check your MTN data balance online and offline, we hope you found this guide helpful.