If you have been searching for the Nigerian celebrity, Musician or brand with the highest followers on Twitter, you’ve landed on the right article as we’ll be showing you a list of the top 10 most followed Nigerian accounts on Twitter in January 2020.
Like we all know, Twitter is one of the biggest social media networks in the world with over 176 Million daily users of which around 17.3 Million are Nigerians (According to Statistia).
With the fact stated above, you can be sure that Nigerians are some of the most active individuals on Twitter in recent times.
We all know how Twitter works – follow me to see my stuff on your timeline and if you’re popular celebrity or let’s say you’re good in posting cool stuff about the latest trends on your timeline, there are chances you’ll see a spike in the number of followers you have if you promote yourself the right way.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at the most followed Nigerians on Twitter with real figures as proof.
These Nigerian accounts with the highest number of followers could be celebrities (e.g musicians & comedians), brands, websites and so on.
Without wasting more of your time, let’s begin the discussion.
Most Followed Nigerian Accounts On Twitter (January 2020)
- Twitter Handle – @davido
- Date Joined – September 2010
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 5.92 Million
David Adeleke who is popularly known as David or OBO is a Nigerian songwriter and musician.
He uses his Twitter accounts basically for promoting his songs and the songs of musicians signed into his record label (Davido Music Worldwide – DMW).
Davido is one celebrity that turns on the Twitter ecosphere with just one tweet.
Currently, Davido tops our list of the most followed Nigerian accounts on Twitter which automatically makes him the most followed Nigerian on Twitter in 2020 with over 5.2 Million Followers and counting.
Davido is also one of the richest Nigerian musicians right now and he often does some giveaways on Twitter to boost his followers and general fanbase.
- Twitter Handle – @WizkidAyo
- Date Joined – April 2009
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 5.4 Million
Wizkid who is also known as Starboy is a Nigerian songwriter, performer and owner of Starboy records which has some popular Nigerian musicians signed into it.
This is one of the most successful Nigerian musicians in 2020. He is also a Nigerian musician with a very huge fanbase and the number of followers he has on Twitter attests to this fact.
WizKid is also a very active musician and one of the most followed Nigerian celebrities on social media.
With about 5.4 Million+ active followers on Twitter, WizKid is the 2nd most followed Nigerian on Twitter in 2020.
- Twitter Handle – @DonJazzy
- Date Joined – July 2009
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 3.94 Million
Our very own CEO of MAVIN records – DonJazzy is also a very active Twitter user and one of the most followed Nigerians on the platform with over 3.9 Million followers and counting.
Merely going through his Twitter page, you would discover the love he has for the Big Brother Nigeria show and he doesn’t hesitate to post updates about the reality show on his page.
DonJazzy is also a very active celeb on social media and he also does some giveaways on his page where he helps his followers’ startup small businesses or boosts there already established businesses.
4) Channels Television
- Twitter Handle – @channelstv
- Date Joined – March 2010
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 3.48 Million
Channels Television is one of the leading news television stations in Nigeria currently with a mission to act as a watchdog on governmental policies and activities.
This TV station was one of the first Nigerian based television stations to utilize the power of social media in distributing verified news to Nigerians who constantly use these platforms.
5) Tiwa Savage
- Twitter Handle – @TiwaSavage
- Date Joined – May 2009
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 3.44 Million
Tiwa Savage, arguably the most successful female musician in Nigeria currently is also one the most followed Nigerians on social media (Twitter in this case).
Like other Nigerian celebrities, Tiwa Savage uses her Twitter account to promote her songs, shows, achievements and day to day life experiences.
With over 3 Million followers on Twitter and counting, Tiwa’s Twitter account is the 5th most followed Twitter account in Nigeria in 2020.
- Twitter Handle – @iamdbanj
- Date Joined – June 2009
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 2.92 Million
Occupying the 6 spot on the list of the most followed Twitter accounts in Nigeria we have the Kokomaster himself – DBanj.
DBanj is one of the most successful celebrities from Africa and he’s well-loved and respected all over the world and I guess this is one the reasons why the has such huge amount of followers on social media.
- Twitter Handle – @Olamide_YBNL
- Date Joined – September 2010
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 2.82 Million
Olamide Adedeji is one Nigerian musician that is loved by the majority and with this, he has acquired a huge number of followers on his Twitter account and his other social media accounts.
Like his music or not, he still has a huge number of music lovers who are anxiously waiting for his next release that they can vibe to, continuously.
With 2.8 Million+ followers on Twitter, Olamide’s Twitter handle is the 9th most followed Nigerian account on Twitter 2020.
8) Punch Newspapers
The Punch Newspapers is one of the leading newspapers in Nigeria and the largest online newspaper in Nigeria as of 2020.
This newspaper company was also one of the earliest Nigerian newspapers to establish a dedicated online platform for publishing news and today, their online news platform (punchng.com) is one of the most visited websites in Nigeria.
9) Banky W
- Twitter Handle – @BankyW
- Date Joined – May 2009
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 2.72 Million
Bankole Wellington who is popularly known as BankyW is a Nigerian musician, songwriter, producer and actor who is based in Nigeria.
He is a very popular Nigerian musician with well many fans and followers on social media. BankyW is 8th most followed Nigerian celebrity on Twitter in 2020.
- Twitter Handle – @official2baba
- Date Joined – November 2009
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 2.6 Million
2Baba who was formerly known as 2Face is a Nigerian musician and he is one of the most followed Nigerian celebrity on both Twitter and Instagram.
He is one Nigerian musician who has been in the entertainment scene for more than 2 decades now and a highly respected individual in the country. 2Baba’s Twitter followers are totalled at 2.6 Million and he occupies the 10th position on this list.
11) Sahara Reporters
- Twitter Handle – @SaharaReporters
- Date Joined – November 2008
- Number of Followers (Updated) – 2.58 Million
Sahara Reporter is a Nigerian online news agency founded by Omoyele Sowore with the aim of promoting citizen journalism in Nigeria and across Africa.
Like other Nigerian online news websites, SaharaReporters also utilizes the power of social media in ensuring that undiluted Nigerian news gets to Nigerians who use these social media platforms.
With over 2.4 Million active followers on the SaharaReporters Twitter handle, this news brand is one of the most followed Nigerian brands on Twitter in 2020.
- Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) – 2.47 Million Followers
- Burnaboy (@burnaboy) – 2.4 Million Followers
- Prof Yemi Osinbajo (@ProfOsinbajo) – 2.36 Million Followers
- Atiku Abubakar (@atiku) – 2.3 Million
- Vanguard Newspapers Nigeria (@vanguardngrnews) – 2.2 Million Followers
- Iceprince (@Iceprincezamani) – 2.2 Million Followers
- Peter Okoye – Mr P (@PeterPsquare) – 2.18 Million Followers
- Beat FM Nigeria (@THEBEAT999FM) – 2.14 Million Followers
- Genevieve Nnaji (@GenevieveNnaji1) – 2.02 Million Followers
- Linda Ikeji (@lindaikeji) – 1.9 Million Followers
- Cool FM (@CoolFMNigeria) – 1.8 Million Followers
- Basket Mouth (@Basket_Mouth) – 1.8 Million Followers
- Bukola Saraki (@BukolaSaraki) 1.8 Million Followers
- Wandecoal (@wandecoal) – 1.7 Million Followers
- Guarantee Trust Bank (@gtbank) – 1.5 Million Followers
- El Rufai (@elrufai) – 1.5 Million Followers
- Official Account Of The President Of Nigeria (@NGRPresident) – 1.5 Million Followers
- Mr Incredible (@MI_Abaga) – 1.5 Million Followers
Sources – StatiSense, Twitter Analytics.