Have you ever cared to know these health agencies in Nigeria and/or what they do? If that’s the case you’re in right now, then this post is for you. Here, you will find out a comprehensive list of all health agencies in Nigeria and their functions.
Some of these health agencies in Nigeria include NAFDAC, NACA, NHIS, NIMR, and NPHCDA. Continue reading to learn more about these Nigerian health agencies and their functions and contact information just in case you want to report an issue or make enquires.
- 1. National Agency For Food And Drug Administration And Control [NAFDAC]
- 2. National Agency For The Control Of AIDS [NACA]
- 3. National Institute For Pharmaceutical Research And Development [NIPRD]
- 4. National Health Insurance Scheme [NHIS]
- 5. Nigerian Institute Of Medical Research [NIMR]
- 6. National Primary Health Care Development Agency [NPHCDA]
- 7) Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC)
1. National Agency For Food And Drug Administration And Control [NAFDAC]
The National Agency for Food And Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) was established in October 1992 by Decree No. 15 of 1993 as amended by Decree No. 19 of 1999.
This agency was established to regulate and control the manufacture, importation, exportation, distribution, advertisement, sale, and use of Food, Drugs, Cosmetics, Medical Devices, Packaged Water, Chemicals, and Detergents in Nigeria.
The primary aim of this organization is to destroy Adulterated and counterfeit drugs and prosecute those criminals/individuals who are responsible for the production or importation of these items in Nigeria.
NAFDAC replaced an earlier body of the Federal Ministry of Health which is the Directorate of Food and Drug Administration and Control as it wasn’t as efficient as it ought to be.
- Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
- Phone – +234(0)-1-4609750, +234(0)909-763-0506, +234(0)909-763-0507.
- Physical Address – NAFDAC Corporate Headquarters, Plot 2032, Olusegun, Obasanjo Way, Zone 7, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Website – www.nafdac.gov.ng.
2. National Agency For The Control Of AIDS [NACA]
NACA is a federal government agency that is responsible for the control of AIDS in Nigeria. They also formulate policies and guidelines on HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
This agency takes care of individuals and families with HIV and/or AIDS, support HIV/AIDS research, monitor and evaluates the activities of HIV/AIDS in the country e.t.c.
Some of the contact details of this Nigerian health agency are listed below.
- Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone – (234) 08091836222, 6222(Toll-free on 9Mobile(Etisalat) and Airtel).
- Physical Address – Plot 823, Ralph Shodeinde Street, Central Business District, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Website – naca.gov.ng
3. National Institute For Pharmaceutical Research And Development [NIPRD]
NIPRD is a health agency under the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology in the year 1987 to enhance the advancement of local pharmaceutical research and development which in turn increases the development and sales of pharmaceutical raw materials, drugs, and biological products in Nigeria.
Some functions of NIPRD can be seen below
- Conduct research and development in pharmaceutical biotechnology, nutrition, cosmetics, and environmental science.
- Set up quality and fully functional assurance laboratory for research on pharmaceutical raw materials and products.
- Register new products with appropriate national bodies, international organizations, and chosen countries.
- Undertake research and development work on drugs, biological products including vaccines, and pharmaceutical raw materials from indigenous natural resources and by synthesis using appropriate science and technology methodologies.
- Serve as a reference center for research work on the biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, storage, and stability of imported and/or locally manufactured drugs and biological products.
- Email(s) – email@example.com
- Phone – Unavailable.
- Physical Address – National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Federal Ministry of Health Industrial Area, P.M.B 21, Garki, Abuja- FCT, Nigeria
- Website – niprd.gov.ng
4. National Health Insurance Scheme [NHIS]
The National Health Insurance Scheme is one of the major insurance schemes targeted at Nigerians.
This is a health agency established under Act 35 of the 1999 Constitution by the Federal Government of Nigeria to improve the health of all Nigerians at an affordable cost through different prepayment systems.
NHIS provides social health insurance in Nigeria where health care services of contributors are paid from funds that are contributed by various participants of the Scheme.
This agency is an essential health agency that guarantees the provision of needed health services to people with little payments at regular intervals.
NHIS regulates all private health Insurance schemes operated by all Health Maintenance Organisations (HMOs) in Nigeria.
- Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone -0805-928-2008, 0808-328-0131, 0803-979-6126, 0806-574-4100, 0805-901-5854.
- Physical Address – Plot 297, Shehu Yar’adua Way, Utako District, Abuja. Nigeria
- Website – nhis.gov.ng
5. Nigerian Institute Of Medical Research [NIMR]
As the name implies, NIMR is a Nigerian health agency that was established in 1977 and is responsible for conducting research on diseases that are related to public health and developing solutions to those diseases in Nigeria.
NIMR also has world-class medical facilities which are used in training and re-training of university students and graduates of many medical-related courses in Nigeria, health researchers e.t.c.
Overall, NIMR is becoming a medical institution to reckon with in Nigeria and outside the country because of many feet which they have achieved since the agency was created.
- Email(s) – email@example.com
- Phone – +234 1 909 213 3886
- Physical Address – Nigerian Institute of Medical Research. 6, Edmund crescent off Murtala Mohammed way, P.M.B. 2013 Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Website – www.nimr.gov.ng
6. National Primary Health Care Development Agency [NPHCDA]
The NPHCDA is a Nigerian health agency that was established in 1992 and merged with the National Programme on Immunization (NPI) in 2007 with the sole purpose of improving the health and quality of life of Nigerians. through enhanced primary health care.
NPHCDA is one of the health agencies in Nigeria which has made remarkable and innovative progress in the development of Primary Health in the country.
- Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone – +234 809 177 7783 (WhatsApp)
- Physical Address – Plot 681/682 Port Harcourt Crescent, Rivers State, Nigeria.
- Website – nphcda.gov.ng
7) Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC)
The Nigerian Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) is a Nigerian federal government agency under the Federal Ministry of Health which is responsible for the control, prevention, and management of communicable diseases in Nigeria.
It was founded in 2011 and in 2018, the bill to establish the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari. The agency just like other Disease Control agencies of the world is responsible for coordinating surveillance systems to collect, analyze and interpret data gathered on diseases for the wellbeing of Nigerians.
The agency is headed by an appointed Director-General who in turn reports to the Minister of Health in the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The agency is currently headed by Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu who is a notable epidemiologist and public health physician in Nigeria.
Other functions of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) are listed below.
- Prevent, detect, and control diseases of public health importance.
- Coordinate surveillance systems to collect, analyze and interpret data on diseases of public health importance.
- Support States in responding to small outbreaks, and lead the response to large disease outbreaks.
- Develop and maintain a network of reference and specialized laboratories.
- Conduct, collate, synthesize and disseminate public health research to inform policy.
- Lead Nigeria’s engagement with the international community on diseases of public health relevance
- Email(s) – email@example.com
- Phone – 0800 970000 10 (Toll-Free Call Centre)
- Physical Address – Plot 801, Ebitu Ukiwe Street, Jabi, Abuja, Nigeria
- Website – ncdc.gov.ng