Have you ever cared to know these health agencies in Nigeria and/or what they do? If no, then this post is for you as we’ll be writing about the list of health agencies in Nigeria and their functions.
Some of these health agencies in Nigeria include NAFDAC, NACA, NHIS, NIMR and NPHCDA. Continue reading to learn more about these Nigerian health agencies and their functions + other details.
1. National Agency For Food And Drug Administration And Control [NAFDAC]
The National Agency for Food And Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) was established in October 1992 by Decree No. 15 of 1993 as amended by Decree No. 19 of 1999.
This agency was established to regulate and control the manufacture, importation, exportation, distribution, advertisement, sale and use of Food, Drugs, Cosmetics, Medical Devices, Packaged Water, Chemicals and Detergents in Nigeria.
The primary aim of this organization is to destroy Adulterated and counterfeit drugs and prosecute those criminals/individuals who are responsible for the production of importation of these items in Nigeria.
NAFDAC replaced an earlier body of the Federal Ministry of Health which is the Directorate of Food and Drug Administration and Control as it wasn’t as efficient as it ought to be.
Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
Phone – +234(0)-1-4609750, +234(0)909-763-0506, +234(0)909-763-0507.
Physical Address – NAFDAC Corporate Headquarters, Plot 2032, Olusegun, Obasanjo Way, Zone 7, Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria.
Website – www.nafdac.gov.ng.
2. National Agency For The Control Of AIDS [NACA]
NACA is a federal government agency which is responsible for the control of AIDS in Nigeria. They also formulate policies and guidelines on HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
This agency takes care of individuals and families with HIV and/or AIDS, support HIV/AIDS research, monitor and evaluates the activities of HIV/AIDS in the country e.t.c.
Some of the contact details of this Nigerian health agency are listed below.
Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – (234) 08091836222, 6222(Toll-free on 9Mobile(Etisalat) and Airtel).
Physical Address – Plot 823, Ralph Shodeinde Street, Central Business District, Abuja, Nigeria.
Website – naca.gov.ng
3. National Institute For Pharmaceutical Research And Development [NIPRD]
NIPRD is a health agency under the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology in the year 1987 to enhance the advancement of local pharmaceutical research and development which in turn increases the development and sales of pharmaceutical raw materials, drugs and biological products in Nigeria.
Some functions of NIPRD can be seen below
- Conduct research and development in pharmaceutical biotechnology, nutrition, cosmetics and environmental science.
- Setup a quality and fully functional assurance laboratory for research on pharmaceutical raw materials and products.
- Register new products with appropriate national bodies, international organizations, and chosen countries.
- Undertake research and development work on drugs, biological products including vaccines and pharmaceutical raw materials from indigenous natural resources and by synthesis using appropriate science and technology methodologies.
- Serve as a reference centre for research work on the biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, storage and stability of imported and/or locally manufactured drugs and biological products.
Email(s) – email@example.com
Phone – Unavailable.
Physical Address – National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD), Federal Ministry of Health Industrial Area, P.M.B 21, Garki, Abuja- FCT, Nigeria
Website – niprd.gov.ng
4. National Health Insurance Scheme [NHIS]
The National Health Insurance Scheme is one of the major insurance schemes targeted at Nigerians.
This is a health agency established under Act 35 of 1999 Constitution by the Federal Government of Nigeria to improve the health of all Nigerians at an affordable cost through different prepayment systems.
NHIS provides social health insurance in Nigeria where health care services of contributors are paid from funds which are contributed by various participants of the Scheme.
This agency is an essential health agency that guarantees the provision of needed health services to people with some little payments at regular intervals.
NHIS regulates all private health Insurance schemes operated all Health Maintenance Organisations(HMOs) in Nigeria.
Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone -0805-928-2008, 0808-328-0131, 0803-979-6126, 0806-574-4100, 0805-901-5854.
Physical Address – Plot 297, Shehu Yar’adua Way, Utako District, Abuja. Nigeria.
Website – nhis.gov.ng
5. Nigerian Institute Of Medical Research [NIMR]
As the name implies, NIMR is a Nigerian health agency which was established in 1977 is responsible for conducting research on diseases which are related to public health and develop solutions to those diseases in Nigeria.
NIMR also has world-class medical facilities which are used in training and re-training of university students and graduates of many medical related courses in Nigeria, health researchers e.t.c.
Overall, NIMR is becoming a medical institution to reckon with in Nigeria and outside the country because of many feet which they have achieved since the agency was created.
Email(s) – email@example.com
Phone – +234 1 909 213 3886
Physical Address – Nigerian Institute of Medical Research. 6, Edmund crescent off Murtala Mohammed way, P.M.B. 2013 Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria.
Website – www.nimr.gov.ng
6. National Primary Health Care Development Agency [NPHCDA]
The NPHCDA is a Nigerian health agency which was established in 1992 and merged with the National Programme on Immunization (NPI) in 2007 with the sole purpose of improving the health and quality of life of Nigerians. through enhanced primary health care.
NPHCDA is one of the health agencies in Nigeria which has made remarkable and innovative progress was in the development of Primary Health in the country.
Email(s) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – +234 809 177 7783 (WhatsApp)
Physical Address – Plot 681/682 Port Harcourt Crescent, Rivers State, Nigeria.
Website – nphcda.gov
Check These Other Articles
- Local Government Areas In Nigeria: See Complete List
- The Eyo Festival In Nigeria: History, Importance And Dates
- NESREA: Functions, Full Meaning, Offices & Salary Structure Of Employees