Asking questions like who named Nigeria? what is the meaning of Nigeria? What was the country named before then? then this post is for you as we’ll be talking about those topics and more in this post.
Nigeria as the giant of Africa is no doubt one of the go-to countries on the African continent. With a population of over 190 million people as of 2017(Google), Nigeria is the most populated country on the African continent.
The country didn’t exist until 1914 when the three main regions where merged by the British colonial masters as at that time. That leaves us asking this question, who really gave the country the name “Nigeria“?
Who Named Nigeria & In What Year?
The name “Nigeria” was given to the country by a British journalist(a Times’ colonial editor) named Mrs. Flora Shaw on January 8, 1897.
Mrs. Flora Shaw later got married to the then administrative head and the first Governor-general of the country(1914–1919), Lord Fredrick Lugard.
Frederick John Dealtry Lugard was a British soldier, mercenary, explorer of Africa and colonial administrator. Before becoming the Governor-general of Nigeria, he was the Governor-general of Hong-kong and the last governor of both the Northern and Southern protectorates.
Flora Shaw was one of the notable journalists who fought for the freedom of slaves in Nigeria and Africa as a continent through some of her publications as a journalist. Lady Lugard(as she was fondly referred to) died on the 25th of January 1929, after falling ill with pneumonia.
What Does Nigeria Mean?
The name “Nigeria“, was gotten from the combination of “Niger” and “Area“.
Niger was gotten from the name of the longest river in Nigeria – River Niger and the “Area” was the environment and people who live in the country where the river Niger is located in.
Nigeria was formed by the amalgamation of the northern and southern protectorate and had no former name before it was eventually named by Lady Luguard.
Other Popular Questions About Nigeria
1. Who Amalgamated Nigeria? Lord Fredrick Lugard amalgamated Nigeria in the year 1914.
2. What Was The Name Of Nigeria Before? Nigeria had no name before the amalgamation by Lord Fredrick Lugard.
3. Who Colonized Nigeria? Nigeria was colonized by the British colonial masters.
4. What Does Nigeria Mean? Nigeria is an Amalgam of the words: “Niger” and “Area“. Like I said earlier in this article, this name “Nigeria” was formulated by Flora Shaw who was the wife of the then Governor-general of Nigeria, Lord Fredrick Lugard.
5. What Is The Pronunciation Of Nigeria? Nigeria is pronounced, /naɪˈdʒɪəriə/