Are you searching for the biggest churches in Nigeria? We have put together here a list of the top 10 Christian worship centers you will find in the country and their locations. Read on.
Nigeria is a very religious country. The number of religious worship centers in it (churches, mosques, shrines, etc) is almost uncountable.
Nearly every street you pass has at least one church in it. In the major cities sometimes, you can even count up to 10 of them in one street.
As numerous as the churches in Nigeria are, a few of them have managed to stand out in terms of popularity, branches, and the number of members worshipping there every week. This article reveals the top 10 of them.
- Which Church Is The Largest/Biggest In Nigeria?
- Biggest Churches In Nigeria: Top 10
- 1) The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG)
- 2) Living Faith Church Worldwide (Winners chapel)
- 3) Believers Loveworld (Christ Embassy)
- 4) Mountain Of Fire and Miracle Ministry (MFM)
- 5) Deeper Christian Life Ministry
- 6) The Apostolic Church Nigeria (TAC)
- 7) The Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement
- 8) House On The Rock (HOTR)
- 9) Daystar Christian Centre (DCC)
- 10) The Commonwealth Of Zion Assembly (COZA)
Which Church Is The Largest/Biggest In Nigeria?
It is hard to really single out one church as the biggest church in Nigeria. This is mainly because there are orthodox, evangelical, pentecostal, and several other types of churches in the country.
To rate one church as the biggest, you’d have to consider the size of their headquarters, their branch network, popularity, number of members, etc.
Unless you pick a particular type of church e.g evangelicals and do research on “the biggest evangelical church in Nigeria”, you may not really get the right answer.
It is without a doubt that the Roman Catholic Church is the largest church there is the world today. The number of members and branches the church has, cannot be compared to any other.
This is applicable too even in Nigeria. The Catholic church remains the largest church in the country. However, when you talk about the biggest Pentecostal church in Nigeria, Redeemed Christian Church of God headed by Pastor E.A. Adeboye occupies that position.
To know the top 10 largest churches in the country, check out the full list below.
Biggest Churches In Nigeria: Top 10
The following are some of the churches in Nigeria that are highly regarded as the biggest in the country. The location of their headquarters, founder, and current leader is also featured here.
1) The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG)
- Founder – Pa Josiah Akindayomi
- Current Leader – Pastor E.A Adeboye
- Headquarters – Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos
The Redeemed Christian Church of God is the largest pentecostal church right here in Nigeria. The church has a network of branches running into hundreds of thousands, and they don’t even seem to be slowing down anytime soon. They have branches in several other African nations and even outside the continent as well.
RCCG as the Christian organization is often referred to as the church with the largest auditorium in Nigeria. Ever since it was founded by Pa Josiah Akindayomi in 1952, the church has continued to wax stronger and stronger. It is currently being led by Pastor Enoch Adeboye, Nigeria’s most respected preacher.
2) Living Faith Church Worldwide (Winners chapel)
- Founder – Bishop David Oyedepo
- Current Leader – Bishop David Oyedepo
- Headquarters Location – Ota, Ogun State
Living Faith Church Worldwide aka Winners Chapel was founded in 1981 after Dr. David Oyedepo received a vision in which he said God told him it is time to liberate the world through the preaching of the word of faith.
Winners Chapel is the second largest church in the country. They have branches in nearly every town in Nigeria. The church is known mainly for its message of material prosperity.
The headquarters of the church which is located in Cannanland, Ota, Ogun State can sit about 250,000 persons. The architectural design is still a wonder to so many people. The church’s annual event of the year “Shiloh”, is one of the most popular church events in the country with millions of Christians in Nigeria attending anytime it holds.
Bishop Oyedopo who is is the founder of this church is one of the richest pastors in Africa and the world at large. The headquarters of this church is located at Ota, Ogun State, and facts have it that the building is one of the largest church auditoriums in the country.
3) Believers Loveworld (Christ Embassy)
- Founder – Pastor Chris Oyakihilome
- Current Leader – Chris Oyakhilome
- Headquarters – Oregun, Ikeja, Lagos
Believers Loveworld which is popularly known in Nigeria as Christ Embassy is among the biggest churches in Nigeria. According to Wikipedia, the church has over 13M followers worldwide. The majority of that number are Nigerians.
Pastor Chris, the founder and current leader of the church, is also one of Nigeria’s richest and most popular pastors.
4) Mountain Of Fire and Miracle Ministry (MFM)
- Founder – Dr. D.K. Olukoya
- Current Leader – Dr. D.K Olukoya
- Headquarters – Yaba, Lagos State
In 1989, Dr. Daniel Olukoya founded what is now known as Mountain of Fire and Miracle Ministry. The church is one of Nigeria’s largest churches.
With a headquarters in Yaba, Lagos, that can accommodate over 500,000 persons, the church is definitely a force to be reckoned with in the pentecostal circle in Nigeria. The MFM headquarters also holds the record as one of the largest church auditoriums in Nigeria right now.
5) Deeper Christian Life Ministry
- Founder – Pastor W.F Kumuyi
- Current Leader – W.F Kumuyi
- Headquarters – Gbagada, Lagos State
Deeper Christian Life Ministry is one of the biggest churches in Nigeria. It is also one of the biggest indigenous pentecostal churches in the country.
The church was founded in 1993 after 15 students from the University of Lagos, approached W.F Kumuyi for help with the scriptures. The Man of God who was a lecturer in the school continued with them until 1982 when the small Bible group became a full church.
6) The Apostolic Church Nigeria (TAC)
- Founder – Joseph Shadare
- Current Leader – Apostle E.S Igwe
- Headquarters – Lagos State
The Apostolic Church of Nigeria is also known as TAC is definitely one of the biggest evangelical churches in Nigeria.
The church headquarters which is located in Lagos State is among the largest church auditoriums in Nigeria, Africa, and the entire world. Minus the tents and overflows, the church can comfortably seat about 10,000 persons.
The Apostolic Church Nigeria has several thousands of branches scattered across the country. They are estimated to have over 5M followers.
7) The Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement
- Founder – Pastor. Lazarus Muoka
- Current Leader – Pastor Lazarus Muoka
- Headquartered In – Lagos State, Nigeria.
The Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement was rated one of the fastest-growing churches in Nigeria in 2006.
The church which was founded by Pastor Lazarus Muoka has grown so much that it now has over 300,000 branches all over the country and is now competing with the likes of RCCG, Living Faith (Winners Chapel), and other top evangelical churches in the country.
8) House On The Rock (HOTR)
- Founder – Paul Adefarasin
- Current Leader – Pastor Paul & Ifeanyi Adefarasin
- Headquarters Location – Lekki, Lagos State, Nigeria.
House on the Rock was founded by Pastor Paul Adefarasin in 1994. The church has since then grown to become one of the biggest churches in Nigeria.
The church currently has branches in all the states and major cities in the country. The headquarters which is located in Lekki, Lagos State, remains one of Nigeria’s most beautiful churches to date.
9) Daystar Christian Centre (DCC)
- Founder – Pst Sam Adeyemi
- Current Leader – Pst. Sam Adeyemi
- Headquarters Address – Oregun, Ikeja, Lagos
Daystar Christian Centre which is popularly known as “Daystar” or “DCC”, is one of Nigeria’s biggest churches. The church has several thousands of followers that attend its weekly and monthly services.
In 2018, the church made headlines for being the first pentecostal church in Nigerian to run a Saturday service. The church also has an outstanding live streaming service that allows members and non-members to stream weekly activities and Sunday services on their internet-enabled devices.
10) The Commonwealth Of Zion Assembly (COZA)
- Founder – Rev. Biodun Fatoyinbo
- Current Leader – Rev. Biodun Fatoyinbo
- Headquarters Location – FCT, Abuja
The Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA) and its founder have been in the news lately for lots of reasons. With all its challenges, the church is still one of the biggest Pentecostal churches in Nigeria.
The church has its branches in nearly all the major cities in the country. Its headquarters which is located in Nigeria’s federal capital territory, Abuja is capable of accommodating over 10,000 worshippers at a time.
Nigeria has a whole lot of churches presently. As a matter of fact, the number of churches in the country is best left for the imaginations.
Despite all that number, a few have managed to stay consistent over the years. These are the biggest churches in Nigeria today.